Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Generation Y

I attended a church service tonight in Seattle that catered to my age group, finally. For the first time since I've moved here I heard a message given directly to (and for) 20-somethings. Not to newlyweds, families, or 3-10 year olds... no, this time it was for me.

The challenge the pastor left us with was this:
What is your well? Find it, and give it to God (and don't secretly ask Him to take care of it but then go and try to take care of it yourself... as we all do)

To clarify, someone's well refers to something that is leaving them thirsty (i think i'm explaining this right) and they go to their well to quench their thirst. However, this is not the living water we truly long for, these are our own desires.

Examples of wells:
- if i could just be a little skinnier
- i just need to get that next promotion
- i could win this race if i just kept doing this or that

It may seem easy to define your well, but it is only half the battle. Once you define it you must give it away and pray for it to be taken care of. Then we must not expect it to be solved as we imagined because it could appear in a way that we would have never believed.

"...For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought Glory Road was funny because a lot of the lines applied to Texas in general. When they are in the cafeteria and the guy is like "Taco? Nacho? Burrito?" and the black guy says "no, I want a hot dog-o!" hahahaha. miss you! hope you are having a good week!

Anonymous said...

haha, yes I am sure that we live in the same country we are just thousands of miles, mountains, and rivers apart! haha. hope you are doing fantastic and I look forward to our next phoneconvo.

love!